- Sen. John Cornyn: 'Past time' for Eric Holder to go - Washington Times - May 19, 2013
- House panel OKs farm bill with food stamp cuts - Courierpress/news/gleaner/ - May 19, 2013
- Virgin Group eyes slice of Australia's $65bn healthcare market - The Australian - May 19, 2013
- Indonesia Healthcare Buckling Under Strain - First Coast News - May 19, 2013
- The Issue: The 2013 farm bill - UPI.com - May 19, 2013
Health Insurance/Tax Credits
- Support association health plans, which would serve as purchasing pools for small businesses.
- Support federal medical liability reform.
- Urge equitable tax treatment for individuals who purchase their own coverage and support tax credits targeted to those with modest incomes.
- Support caregivers through respite care and tax credits or an IRA on long-term care issues.
- Support legislation that fosters private-sector solutions for the uninsured in the U.S.
- Support stand-alone legislation that offers tax credits for employer sponsored workplace wellness programs for employees.
- Urge lawmakers to protect and enhance Medicaid funding for hospitals.
- Oppose implementation of new Medicaid block grant funding concepts for states.
- Protect federal funding for CHIP and the Texas Medicaid disproportionate share program (DSH).
- Protect the use of intergovernmental transfer (IGT) funds to obtain Medicaid match.
- Oppose efforts to reduce Medicare Advantage or Medicare hospital and physician payments. Ensure that the Medicare program is protected from government imposed price controls on prescription drugs and offers choices to seniors and people with disabilities.
- Support linking physician Medicare reimbursements to quality-focused, performance-driven benchmarks. Physician reimbursement rates currently are set by a sustainable growth rate formula that needs comprehensive reform. Oppose reducing hospital reimbursements for offsets.
- Support efforts by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to reduce regulatory burdens on health care providers.
- Maintain current Upper Payment Limit Program with enhanced match.
- Support rural health initiatives and oppose measures that would reduce access for rural residents.
- Support continued reform of the area wage index system utilized by the Medicare reimbursement system. This system, created in 1984, unfairly penalizes communities that had a low cost of living almost 20 years ago, and has restricted the ability of local health care providers to offer competitive wages.
- Reduce the national shortage of nurses and other allied professionals through innovative funding for educational programs and scholarships.
- Oppose efforts to implement nurse-staffing ratios.
- Support changes in immigration policies to facilitate recruitment of foreign nurses.
Healthcare News Feed
May 19, 2013Ohio to bolster checks on home health care workers - NewsNet5.com
May 19, 2013Pontiac council votes against Schimmel's plan to eliminate health care for ...
May 19, 2013How they voted: Health care, meeting presence for public officials among ...
May 19, 2013Retired couples may need $220K for health care
Chicago Daily Herald
May 19, 2013When it comes to health care, it pays to shop around - Philly.com
May 19, 2013Medicaid opposition underscores states' healthcare disparities
Los Angeles Times
May 19, 2013Republicans try to link IRS scandal, Obama's health care overhaul
May 18, 2013Premiums under new health-care law remain about the same
The Seattle Times
May 18, 2013With Consensus and Money, State Takes on Mental Health Care
New York Times